Saturday, October 17, 2009

A Crown of Splendor..


Proverbs 16:31
Grey hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained by a righteous life.


I read this passage on Friday morning during my quiet time. I thought to myself how interesting it is that I would stumble across this particular verse. I have, over the past year or so, been letting my hair revert back to its natural color, with all the grey that now streaks through it. I think its mostly all back, or maybe even is completely back, to its natural color. It's the first time in my adult life that I have had my natural color. I have colored my hair from the time I was about 17 years old. Right now it's a rich brown color with lots of grey running through it.

When I made the decision to go natural and thus also go grey, I had no idea how much the Lord would use it to teach me and speak to me....about things like giving up control and accepting whatever He brings into my life. At the same time I made the decision to go natural with my color, I also made the choice to allow my hair to grow out from the super short, very controlled style I have always worn, to a shoulder length, softer style. It's been an experience for me!Who would have ever thought that changing my hairstyle and color would be such a tool for the Lord to use in transforming me!?

When I was on retreat a couple (few?) weeks ago, I was watching a pair of older women from my church. They looked so beautiful to me with their peaceful countenances and their crowns of silver-grey hair. As I watched them I realized, and told the Lord, I want to be like those ladies when I am older. I want to have the peaceful countenace, and dignified look of someone who has walked with Him for a lifetime. Someone who has learned to be content in any and every situation, who has experienced both great blessing and tremendous heartache, and who has clung to faith in Christ Jesus throughout it all.

Someone who can wear her grey hair like a crown of splendor that is the reward of a life lived for, and through, Him...

No comments: