Saturday, May 10, 2008

I'm so glad it isn't based on me...

I've been thinking about this over the past day or so. It seems like alot of my posts begin with, "I've been thinking.." Anyway, this has been rolling around in my head so I'm going to put it here. That's the great thing about having a blog...you get to write about whatever is rolling around in your head!

As I have begun to blog about my issues with food and dieting and how I feel that my relationship with Christ, or my Christianity, is a key factor in overcoming these issues, I have gotten some comments...anonymous of course...attacking me and my Christianity. In light of that I just want to say this...


You are right....I suck at times. There are days when I am in an ugly mood. There are times when I am defensive and my words are harsh. There are times when I stuff food in my mouth to fulfill some vague longing, knowing that it really isn't going to fulfill anything. There are times when I am critical and nag at my poor hubby. There are days when I don't want to read my bible or pray or even acknowledge God as my creator. In short, I am human. I am no better and no worse than anyone else on the face of this planet.

But you see, the thing is, my salvation isn't based on anything I can or can't do. It's based on the fact the Jesus Christ took upon Himself every sin that I (or anyone else for that matter) have ever committed and every sin that I ever will commit in the future and he took the punihment that was and is due me. He paid the price for my sins. My salvation is all based on what Jesus has already done...not on anything I could ever do. If I was able to live my life perfectly and never sin, never break the rules, never be harsh, never be pissy....well, frankly, I wouldn't need a savior., But I can't...some days I just plain fail at being a nice human being. That's the reason I am so glad that none of it is based on anything I am able to do...it's based simply on me saying "yes" to Christ's free gift of salvation.

This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life. God didn't go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was. He came to help, to put the world right again. Anyone who trusts in him is acquitted; anyone who refuses to trust him has long since been under the death sentence without knowing it. And why? Because of that person's failure to believe in the one-of-a-kind Son of God when introduced to him.
John 3:16-18 (The Message)

5 comments:

Christin said...

(((((Vickie)))))

What a beautiful post. The tears came, cause you are soooo right! I am so grateful that Christ paid the price cause I know in and of myself... I am nothing and would be lower than dirt if it weren't for Him and His sacrifice. Praise the Lord that I have a hope in Christ! With Him... you and I can do anything. No mountain is insurmountable. Cause we know... that He told us that if we have the faith even as small as a mustard seed... we can move that mountain right out of our way.

((HUG)) Thank you my friend... I am so grateful and blessed to call you my sister.

Deni said...

Amen vickie!!!!

What an excellent post!!!!!!!!!!!

Vickie said...

Christin & Deni..thank you for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to read what I have to say. I needed to say it :)

2BIG4MYSIZE said...

great explaination. so many don't understand it.

Love your commnet comment header too.

Vickie said...

2big...thanks so much for reading my blog. My comment header went up in response to some really nasty comments that were left here. It amazes me what people will say to each other when hiding behind an anonymous identity!