Wednesday, May 29, 2013

I need a strategy..


Strategy: a plan, method, or series of maneuvers or stratagems for obtaining a specific goal or result: a strategy for getting ahead in the world.

First of all let's just get it out there ....because every fiber of my being wants to keep this a secret...to not put it in my tracker and not tell anyone what I did. .... I blew my streak last night. I came home late after a long day and I started eating and didn't stop until I had mindlessly consumed an extra 36 PointsPlus. Yes, I have the weekly points allowance to cover what I ate, so technically I am still "on plan." But that's not really the point this morning. The point is the BEHAVIOR. This behavior of losing my mind, throwing caution to the wind, and just eating until I feel sick is not healthy. It needs to change. I need a strategy. 

I wish I could let some of you inside my head, in the car on the drive home. There is such a battle going on in there as I drive the twenty minute route home from my meeting on Tuesday nights. I drive along fighting the urge to stop and get certain foods. Usually it starts with wanting to drive to Mary's Donuts and get an apple fritter the size of a dinner plate. I convince myself not to stop at Mary's and my thoughts shift to stopping at Sprouts for a bag of macadamia nuts, then to In-N-Out for a burger, to Carl's Jr for a turkey burger (that's healthier you know), Taco Bell for a $5.00 box of enough food to feed a small family....and on it goes. 

When I finally arrive home I start out with a healthy choice....after all, I have 5 PointsPlus left in my daily allowance. And then I just don't stop...sigh. 

So, this morning I am sitting here, feeling half sick toy stomach, ashamed that once again I gave in to the urge to binge eat...and realizing that this is a battle and I need a strategy, a battle plan to fight these ridiculous urges. 

So here goes....I am going to write this plan down on a card and review it when I get in the car to go home on Tuesday nights....

1. Pray. Obviously I need help! 

2. Take control of my thought life. 
I know this passage is a little out of context, but the last part of it tells me that I am not helpless in controlling my thoughts. I have the ability to take my thoughts captive. 
(2 Corinthians 10:5
We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.)

3. No eating when I get home. I can not take that first bite!! Like an alcoholic who takes that first drink, I don't seem to be able to stop once I start. A cup of tea, a large glass of fruit infused water over ice...but no food. This habit needs to be confronted and BROKEN!!!

4. Go to bed!! Being tired affects my ability to make sound choices...so go to bed!

That's it. It's simple but I have to start somewhere. 

1 comment:

WWSuzi said...

You are not alone! I know there are certain foods that I simply cannot have a bite of because I know that I will lose all control to have a normal serving.
I know some people can eat certain things in moderation but unfortunately that doesn't apply to me.