Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Life Purpose Statement...

So, as I mentioned yesterday, my bible study group is working through the book, "Calm My Anxious Heart" by Linda Dillow. This most recent chapter was called "A Faulty Focus" and it was really timely for me. It was a perfect and timely reminder for me to "look up."

One of the exercises in the lesson was to write a life purpose statement. A statement of what type of woman I want to be. I wrote mine based on a couple of passages of scripture that have always spoken to my heart.

(Ephesians 3:16-19 NIV)
I pray that out of His glorious riches He may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

(Romans 8:28-29 NIV)
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. For those God foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brothers.

(Col 1:10 Amplified)That you may walk (live and conduct yourselves) in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to Him and desiring to please Him in all things, bearing fruit in every good work and steadily growing and increasing in and by the knowledge of God [with fuller, deeper, and clearer insight, acquaintance, and recognition].


Based on those passages of scripture and what they speak to my heart I wrote the following as my "Life Purpose Statement." Let me assure anyone who is reading this...I am FAR from being the woman in the statement! I have a long way to go in becoming the woman I desire to be. But, I am very sure that Christ, who began a work in me, is faithful and able to bring it to completion!

My Life Purpose Statement:

To Know Him and Make Him Known...

To come to know personally and practically, through experience for myself, the love of Christ. To truly come to know and understand this love that surpasses understanding...not to simply know of it but to really know it, to grasp the depth and breadth of this love and to be filled to the fullest measure with the fullness of God.

And out of that understanding to live a life worthy of Him, fully pleasing to Him and desiring to please Him in all things, bearing fruit in good works and steadily increasing in and by the knowledge of God. And from an understanding of His love for me to want to please Him more than I want to please myself. Out of an understanding of His love for me, to truly believe that He is all that I need.

To grasp that all things work together for good for those who love Him...all things...the good, the bad, the ugly, the mistakes, the sinful choices, the godly choices, the circumstances that feel so overwhelming at times...to truly “get” that all of it is working together and fitting into His plan for my life.

To, from an understanding of His love and a trusting in His sovereignty, lay my life before him and truly be able to say to Him, all that I am, all that I have, all that I do, all that I suffer, all that I desire, now and forever, I give over to You Lord. I surrender all of it to you and say “have your way in me and be glorified in me. Cause me to become conformed to your image more and more each day. Teach me obedience in the things that I suffer and cause me to find my contentment and satisfaction only in You Lord.”

And out of that surrender to Him to have my life impact the lives of others. That I would be so full of Him that He would spill out on to those around me. That He would use my life to encourage and share His love with others.

That at the end of my days, people would look at my life and be able to say, “She was a woman who walked with Jesus.”

No comments: