Thursday, February 26, 2009

Thoughts on a Thursday morning...

...So, as I mentioned before, my women's bible study group is doing a study on the book, "Calm My Anxious Heart" by Linda Dillow. This morning I was reading the second chapter and writing down the memory verse for this week...

Phillipians 4:6-8
Do not be anxious for anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable---if anything is excellent or praiseworthy---think about such things


Wow! This verse isn't unfamiliar to me. It's a verse that gets quoted a lot, copied and stuck on the front of the fridge or on our desks, mirrors, or wherever we might see it often.....but this week, I am really going to try and let the reality of this verse take root in my heart and mind. How different would my life look? How much more content and at peace would I find myself....if I only allowed my mind to dwell on the things that are good and worthy of praise? What if I really do as this verse instructs and REFUSE to worry or be anxious about ANYTHING?

In verse 9 of this same chapter of Philippians, Paul instructs us to PRACTICE these things. That's what I am going to purpose to begin doing this week. I am going to PRACTICE not being anxious or stressed or worried about anything. And I am going to do it by PRACTICING keeping my thoughts where they belong.....on whatever is good and lovely and right and pure and admirable and worthy of praise...with the Lord's help, that is what I am going to begin to do!

OK...yesterday's menu. I have to say...I made the best potato soup last night for dinner! I have not eaten potatoes much in recent years. In the world of low carb, where I have tried to live for so long, potatoes aren't welcome. Can I just say...I forgot that I LIKE POTATOES! Anyway, I made potato soup....and it was GOOD!

It was late by the time we got home from work, as I had worked an hour late and then Vern and I went to Costco on the way home. I ALMOST gave in to Vern's offer to pick up fast food for dinner. But, I was tired and hungry and I knew that if we went to fast food I wouldn't make a healthy choice. So I declined. There was leftover spaghetti in the fridge for Vern....he absolutely refuses to eat anything he thinks MIGHT be one of the healthy foods I eat...and he doesn't know that the spaghettti sauce is a healthy version of one of his favorite foods...sneaky wench that I am! So anyway....I was craving comfort food and I'm not a huge fan of spaghetti....so what to fix? I had some leftover baked potatoes in the fridge. I had some 99% fat free, shaved ham from our trip to Costco...and I had seen a photo of potato soup earlier in the day.

Here's what I did....I chopped about a half cup of onion and sauteed it in a tsp of olive oil. When the onions were transparent, I added a bit of chopped garlic. Then I added the diced, leftover potato and some water. To this I added some instant chicken broth powder and some frozen cauliflower. I simmered it all for about 10 minutes until everthing was soft and then I smooshed it all up with a potato masheer. I added a couple of ounces of the shaved ham and a couple of tbs of fat free sour cream. This made 2 large servings and I ate them BOTH for a total of 9 points! I had enough points to allow me to be spendy on this comfort meal. I added a slice of fat free cheddar cheese to each bowl...oh my goodness!!! Comfort meal!!!...LOL

OK...so here's my points tracker info for yesterday...

POINTS® Tracker entries

Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Morning
1 serving(s) Yoplait Light Yogurt 2
1 medium apple(s) 1
1/2 cup(s) uncooked oatmeal 2.5
Subtotal 5.5

Midday
1 serving(s) Cheese Slice fat free 1
1/4 cup(s) Red Beans 0.5
1/2 cup(s) canned black beans 1
1 cup(s) cooked cauliflower 0
3 oz cooked chicken fillet 2.5
Iced Blueberry Herbal Tea 0
Subtotal 5

Evening
2 serving(s) Cheese Slice fat free 1
1 Potato Soup 9
Subtotal 10

Anytime
No entries for this meal time.
Subtotal 0

Food POINTS values total used 20.5
Food POINTS values remaining 2.5

Activity
20 min walking, brisk 1
Activity POINTS values earned 1

I can't believe I didn't snack yesterday! I don't know when that has happened last! I got hungry late in the afternoon, but it was so close to being time to go home and fix dinner that I just decided to wait. I usually like a snack after dinner but I was so full and content from the potato soup that I just went to bed.

Now the sun is up and it's a beautiful, sunny, San Diego morning and I am going to get dressed and get out there early enough to enjoy my walk to work!

No comments: