Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tuesday February 24, 2009

First things first, I am back on track, over my little binge and moving forward! here's my menu for yesterday:

Monday, February 23, 2009

Morning
1 serving(s) Yoplait Light Yogurt 2
1/4 cup(s) uncooked oatmeal 1
1 medium apple(s) 1
Subtotal 4

Midday
1 serving(s) Bread 45 calories per slice 2 slices 1
ExpressTrack item 0
1 large leaf/leaves lettuce 0
1 Tuna Salad 2
Subtotal 3

Evening
3 oz cooked chicken fillet 2.5
1 cup(s) canned black beans 3.5
2 serving(s) Cheese Slice fat free 1
2 serving(s) Tortilla Carb Chopper 2.5
2 tbsp salsa 0
1 cup(s) lettuce 0
Subtotal 9.5

Anytime
Frozen Smoothie - Quick-added food 4
Subtotal 4

Food POINTS values total used 20.5
Food POINTS values remaining 3.5
Activity
40 min walking, brisk 3
Activity POINTS values earned 3


Again, it's not my intention to be under on points. It was a crazy, busy day and this is just how it played out. Looking over my plan I see a couple of things that I could have done to make it better. I could have added a glass of skim milk to lunch or dinner and that would have been a good choice. I should have added a few more veggies to both lunch and dinner. This is a learning process for me!

As I mentioned, yesterday was a really busy day and I was so relieved when 5:00 came and it was time to go home! Vern was working late so I was looking forward to walking home from work, listening to my ipod, and unwinding from the workday. That isn't quite the way it worked out.

I was about halfway home when my phone rang. I ignored it, it rang again. So I stopped, dug through my backpack, found my phone and answered it. It was Vern....."I am broke down on the side of the freeway. My car just quit running" Me:..."Call the towing company and then call me when you are on your way to the repair shop and I'll pick you up there." Seems like it should have been simple enough to me....ummm...not so much to Vern!

Next phone call a couple of minutes later....."I can't find the number to the towing company." Me..."Oh, you mean the one I told you to program into your phone the last time we had this conversation?" Vern..."Yeah, that one." Me..."You'll have to call information, I am walking, I have no resources available to me right now. Call information, call the towing company, and then call me when you are on your way to the repair shop and I'll come an pick you up there."

Next phone call...(I am home by this time)..."The towing company says there is a five mile limit to the towing and we'll have to pay for addtional miles." Me..."Hmmmm, it's never been that way before. How much extra per mile?" Vern..."I don't know. I didn't ask." Me..."Well, call them back, ask how much additional, have them come and get the car, and call me when you get to the repair shop and I'll come and get you there."

Now I call our State Farm agent and ask what's up with the road service policy. He says nothing's changed and I should call this OTHER towing company because they are better. In the meantime sandag has shown up and towed Vern's car off the freeway to a safer location...but they can't tow him to the repair shop. At least it was free...a state program for highway safety...nice.

So anyway, I call Vern back and say..."Larry says call THIS towing company. If they give us any problem over billing just pay them and bring the receipt to his office and he'll reimburse us by check. So call this company, have them tow you to the repair shop and call me and I'll come and get you there"

Next phone call...."I called that company and they can't come for 2 hours so they referred me to another towing company that has a contract with State Farm." Me..."PLEASE tell me they are on the way to get your car and tow you to the repair place!!!" Vern..."Yes they are, I'll call you when they get here." Me....under my breath..."Thank you Jesus!"...outloud to Vern..."That's great babe, I'll pick you up there." Vern..."They said there is a 10 mile limit to the towing service"....Me..."I don't care...we'll just pay the difference if there's any"

Finally, Vern calls and says they are on their way to the repair place. It's now been over two hours of calling back and forth, I am really trying to not be crabby about all of it as I drive to the repair place to pick him up.

I sit in my car at the repair place, take a deep breath while waiting for them to arrive and realize I have a choice. I can give in to the fact that I am tired and hungry and really wanting to be cranky and worried about the fact that we have no money for car repairs right now....or I can choose, right here, right now...to be grateful. Grateful that the phone call was car trouble and not a highway patrol officer informing me that there had been a terrible accident and I needed to get to the hospital or the morgue. Thankful that we have two cars and I can walk to work. Thankful that while I am hungry and have to wait a little bit to eat...I have more food in my kitchen at home than some third world villages have in the entire village. Thankful that my life is pretty blessed and it's all going to look better in the morning.

I am so glad to be able to write that I chose to be grateful. We finally got home and had dinner and I was not crabby or short with Vern and I was truly glad that we were home and that I have a husband who loves me...even if he can't seem to call a tow truck all by himself...LOL

No comments: