Monday, September 24, 2012

Sunday September 23, 2012

Sunday September 23, 2012

Some days it's difficult to be completely honest in journaling this weight loss journey! But honestly looking at our behavior is part of the process and its so necessary if we hope to effect lasting change. So here we go...

It's becoming a tradition for us to have lunch at the Chicken Pie Shop after church on Sunday. I am learning how to make that work in this effort to lose weight and be healthier.

I don't really know how to describe the experience of San Diego's Chicken Pie Shop to someone who hasn't been there. It's not that the food is extraordinary. It's not. It's just good, old fashioned, comfort food served in a casual atmosphere by middle aged waitresses. The classic "Pie Dinner" consists of a chicken pie, mashed potatoes, gravy, vegetables, coleslaw, a roll, and pie for dessert. All for $7.50.

The nutritional information isn't available but I have looked up comparable foods and come up with a PointsPlus value of 30 for the meal if I eat half of the roll and the pumpkin part only of the pumpkin pie.

We went yesterday and I did exactly that. But, really I could have eaten half of the meal and been satisfied. There was a point during the meal when I knew I was full. I knew it was time to stop...but I kept eating. I ate the entire meal with the exception of half of the roll and the crust of the pumpkin pie. I foolishly told myself I just wouldn't eat anything else but fruit for the rest of the day....yeah right.

Then in the evening I started grazing...ugh!!

Here it is...

Breakfast:
Mixed fruits
Coffee with SF creamer
1 PointsPlus

Lunch:
Pie Dinner
30 PointsPlus

Evening:
Fage Total 0
Banana
VitaCake Mini
Chocolate Chip Cookie
100Calorie Tortilla
FatFree Cheddar Cheese
Laughing Cow Wedges (2)
Brummel & Brown Yogurt Spread
16 PointsPlus

Total 47
Weekly Used 21 / Remaining 11
ActiveLink Earned 1 / Remaining 11

So here is the strategy for next time...because there will be a next time and making this a lifestyle change means learning to enjoy the Chicken Pie Shop Classic Pie Dinner...not avoiding it because of the temptation to over eat. So next week I will have the waitress bring the "to-go" container when she brings the food. I will IMMEDIATELY put half in the container...REMINDING MYSELF THAT I AM NOT BEING DEPRIVED OF HALF THE MEAL!! It will still be mine to eat if I choose to. I just have to eat it on a different day. This is such a simple strategy and we talk about it all the time in my Weight Watcher meetings. But these strategies can do nothing to change my behavior and my relationship to food until I begin to really practice them.

The nighttime grazing...yeah, not so clear on that one. I think if I had used my points more wisely and allowed for a healthy dinner of filling foods. I wouldn't have been so inclined to graze. I think the subtle feeling of having "blown it" at lunch contributed to the grazing in the evening. I'm just calling that one a slip up and focusing on all the evenings I've avoided snacking...and moving on.

When it's all said and done. I am still within my allotted PointsPlus for the week and its okay to use the points to learn. AND I TRACKED EVERY SINGLE BITE...the good, the bad, and the embarrassing!

No comments: