Saturday, April 10, 2010

Saturday April 10...

I feel like I'm really getting into the swing of things and learning to live life within the parameters of a healthy eating plan. I feel good about that. Between using the points system to train myself and trusting God to help me to grow into a person who lives a live of self control, I am feeling a bit of hope that one day I really might be on the other side of this battle.

Vern and I are reading through the bible in a year. It's early enough in the year that we're pretty early on in the old testament. (We reading a little bit in the old, a bit in the new and a psalm and proverb each morning) I'm reminded of some of what we've read over the past couple of months....time after time we have read about God telling the people, "I have given you this land, now go in and possess it." (My paraphrase)Even though God had given them the land they still had to goo in and "possess it." Along the way they had to fight battles and overcome the enemy...even though God had already granted them the victory.

So here's where I am going with this...for the longest time I have prayed and prayed that God would set me free from my addiction to (worship of?) food. But I am realizing that God has already set me free. He has already broken the power of sin in my life. But I am responsible to "go in and possess it." I have to fight the battle and take ownership of what He has already done for me. And then...here's a new thought for me...once I have taken possession of it, (the victory over food addiction and overweight) I will have to KEEP possession of it. If I get to the “Promised Land” and forget the battle strategies that got me there in the first place and I get lazy and complacent, I will not maintain it.

I guess what I am saying, in a nut shell, is this. I am beginning to wrap my mind around the fact that there most likely will never come a day when I am free to eat whatever I want, whenever I want. This is the beginning of a lifetime of right choices. I am ALWAYS going to be faced with choices on a daily basis and it will be up to me to choose which direction to go.

By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence. And because of his glory and excellence, he has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share his divine nature and escape the world’s corruption caused by human desires. (2 Peter 1:3-4)

Okay, now on to my menu choices for Saturday. We had a Friday night sleep-over with our five year old granddaughter. Friday night we went to the grocery store on the way home from picking her up. On our trip to the store we found five or six items that were her “favorite in the whole wide world.” And of course, being Grandma, I got some of them for her. One of her favorites was Kix cereal. She was so excited to have Kix for breakfast and for me to try it with her. I remembered something I saw in one of my “Hungry Girl” books and it inspired this breakfast.


½ cup Kix cereal .5pt
1 cup Puffed Rice 1pt
½ cup Fiber One 0pt
3 medium Strawberries 0pt
1 cup Almond Breeze 1 pt
(coffeemate from earlier coffee 1 pt)
Total 3.5


Lunch was interesting. Once again there was a request from Autumn...McDonalds. Now I am not crazy about McDonalds but the Princess is and I AM crazy about her. My first reaction was “Sure, we can go there and you and Grandpa can eat there but I will eat something here. She looked disappointed as she asked why couldn't I eat at McDonalds and grandpa Vern asked where we could eat that I could eat with them. That's when it came together in my mind.

You see, the issue with going to McDonalds isn't so much about my food preferences as it is with the fact that I can prepare a much more satisfying meal at home. But the reality is that there are going to be days when McDonalds, or some other place, are in the agenda for the day. The reality is that part of making this a lifestyle change is learning to eat healthy and moderately in whatever situation I find myself in.

So, I hopped on my computer, looked up the nutritional info for McDonalds, and planned a lunch menu I could live with. I even wrote it on a slip of paper and stuck it in my pocket so I would know exactly what to order. I know the day will come when I'll be able to just order from the menu board...but I am in training for the battle so I carried my battle strategy with me!

This lunch is what I came up with.

1 regular hamburger 5 pt
1 side salad 0pt
Low Fat Balsamic dressing (A few drops from the HUGE packet) .5pts
Apple dippers 1pt
Caramel Dipping sauce 1pt
Total 7.5





As much as I loved it when Autumn was a baby and spent every moment of her sleep-over time with me, I must admit it's awfully nice now that she's old enough to wander into the office and end up playing Clone Wars on the computer with Grandpa for 30 minutes! During that 30 minutes I took a breather with a wonderful cup of Chai Latte that I made with Almond Breeze....good stuff!

1 cup Almond Breeze 1pt
enough water to fill my large mug the rest of the way.
2 Chai Teabags
Microwave until hot and add a dash of stevia.
Total 1 pt.



Dinner was
2 oz Chicken Breast 2 pt
1 meduim Baked Potato 2.5pt
1/3 cup Black Beans .5pt
1 cup Green beans 0pt
½ cup Italian Style Stewed Tomatoes .5pt
1/3 cup reduced Fat mexican Blend Cheese 2pt
Total 7.5 points



Sancks:
Chai latte, after dinner with my sister 1pt
1 cup Golden spoon frozen Yogurt 5 pt
7 mini rice cakes, caramel flavor 1 pt
Total 7 Points

Total Daily Points 26.5
Target 27

No comments: